August 7, 2017
IHLS Staff Day
Committed, dedicated, and hard-working IHLS staff members from all three locations came together in Carlyle on July 20 for a staff training day.
In addition to a review of training and policies on sexual harassment and safety, Laura Huth, do good Consulting, presented an energetic and insightful program on advocating for IHLS and member libraries.
More photos were posted on the IHLS Facebook page.
School Delivery Starts Week of August 21st
School delivery will begin the week of August 21st. Schools may request an earlier or later start date for delivery by contacting their hub manager.
IHLS Board Meeting – August 22, 2017
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, August 22, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the IHLS Edwardsville office. The Board meeting will also be available at several videoconferencing (VTEL) sites. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
Diana Brawley Sussman
Congratulations to Diana Brawley Sussman, Director of the Carbondale Public Library. Diana is the 2017 recipient of the Illinois Library Association Librarian of the Year Award. The award recognizes a librarian’s distinguished service and leadership in Illinois libraries. Secretary of State and State Librarian Jesse White said, “Her previous involvement in the Illinois State Library’s continuing education programs and her contributions to the library community have made her a leader in transforming library services and an excellent candidate for this award.”
Before her time at the Carbondale Public Library, Diana worked at the former Shawnee Library System as director of the Southern Illinois Talking Book Center.
Allen Lanham Retirement
Congratulations to Dr. Allen Lanham, dean of library services at Eastern Illinois University. He retired on June 30 after almost 26 years or service. Lanham began his duties on Aug. 12, 1991, and during his tenure at Eastern, he encouraged a wide range of library programming in the arts and humanities and has been the principal investigator for Art and Architecture in Illinois Libraries since 2006. He has consulted for libraries in Central and South America and Africa.
He led the extensive renovation and expansion of Booth Library from 1999 through 2002, resulting in a building that celebrates its historic architecture while providing the space and technological capability to meet future library needs.
Lanham was named an Illinois Library Association Luminary in 2016 and Illinois Academic Librarian of the Year in 2008. His work in library innovation and programming led to Booth Library being named a finalist for the National Medal for Museum and Library Service and winner of the DEMCO Library Innovation Award, both in 2014.
Architectural Walking Tour
For the past six years, Effingham Public Library has partnered with the Effingham Tourism Department to provide in-person summer walking tours of the downtown sculptures and their artists to encourage and promote the cultural literacy in Effingham. When “Reading by Design” was announced as the 2017 SRP theme, the Library decided to build on the success of these walking tours by working with local businesses, churches and historians to create an Architectural Walking Tour for Downtown Effingham. Two in-person tours have been offered this summer and through a further partnership with the Effingham High School’s History Club – students have recorded a cell phone tour that will be available until September 4. 16 patrons attended the guided walking tours and 54 have listened to the cell phone audio tour this summer. This project has been so well received that the Effingham Library has been invited to share how they created this with a downstate-wide City Administrations conference in August to encourage other communities to start their own Architectural Walks.
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for. There are also several ‘Ongoing’ grants on the bottom of the list.
- Lowe’s Community Partners Grants – Deadline: August 25, 2017
- Libraries Ready to Code (ALA) – Deadline: August 31, 2017
- Community Foundation for the Land of Lincoln – Deadline: September 1, 2017
- Media Literacy @ Your Library (ALA) – Deadline: September 11, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Vision Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Action Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
- Illinois Humanities Multiplier Grants – Deadline: September 15, 2017
In the News
The road to watching this summer’s solar eclipse starts in the library?
Seven answers to seven weeding questions
Rochester craft group making items to help others
Carbondale Public Library director named state's Librarian of the Year
Carbondale librarian top in state (video)
How reading can benefit your health
Lincoln Library to eliminate fines on juvenile materials (video)
Bryan-Bennett Library receives handcrafted table from wood salvaged from Illinois National Guard Armory
Christopher’s summer reading program a hit
Friends in Rural Places: Creating Dementia Friendly Libraries: Training for Small and Rural Library Staff
August 18, 8:30 a.m., Effingham Public Library Computer Lab
Join Amy Sobrino, MSW, LSW and Shannon Nosbisch, founders of Effingham Area Alzheimer’s Awareness as they deliver Friends in Rural Places: Creating Dementia Friendly Libraries, a training specific for small and rural library staff to learn how to implement dementia friendly principles in their local libraries. Amy & Shannon will help attendees establish a working knowledge of identifying dementia symptoms, offer ideas on how to best support patrons living with the disease, and how to make changes to the library environment and services to meet the needs of families dealing with dementia. Spots are limited, and attendees must RSVP. A $10 donation is requested to cover cost of light breakfast and materials. Attendees will receive information and articles prior to the training. Please call Amy Sobrino at 618-363-8372 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. To register call: 217-342-2464.
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Tuesday, August 8, 2017
- SHARE Catalogers Training Session, Adobe Connect
- Polaris Basic Circulation Training, IHLS Carbondale
- Polaris Advanced Circulation Training, IHLS Carbondale
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
- RDA for Sound and Video, Effingham PL
Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Dewey Decimal Classification, IHLS Edwardsville
Friday, August 11, 2017
- SHARE Serials for Polaris, Scott Air Force Base Library
Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Marion Carnegie
- GALE GVRL Introduction for IHLS
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Marion Carnegie
Thursday, August 17, 2017
- GALE GVRL Introduction for IHLS
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Medium Pubs Meeting, Argenta PL
- SHARE Circulation Forum, Vespasian Warner PLD
- IHLS Board Meeting
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Cataloging in Connexion Workday, Olney PL
- Annual Rotating Love Collection Group Meeting
Thursday, August 24, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, IHLS Champaign
- MEPL – Metro-East Public Library Management Meeting, Jerseyville PL
- Barcoding II—Item Records, IHLS Champaign
Friday, August 25, 2017
- Book Cataloging, Marion Carnegie
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
- Barcoding I—Searching and Matching, Effingham PL
- Adult Services Forum, Vespasian Warner PLD
- Barcoding II—Item Records, Effingham PL
Free Webinars & Workshops
- Free August Webinars for Library Staff (70 webinars)
- Virtual Conference: 2017 SLJ Teen Live – August 8, 2017
- Fall YA Announcements (Booklist) – August 8, 2017
- Online Storytelling: Big Impact, Small Budget (GuideStar) – August 8, 2017
- Building Curriculum with Colleagues: Where the Library and Classroom Learning Connect (edWeb.net) – August 16, 2017
- More Than #MotivationMonday: Motivating Your Team Any Day of the Week (WJ) – August 17, 2017
- How to Get Tech Donations: A Special TechSoup Tour (TechSoup) – August 17, 2017
- Good Reads for Reluctant Readers (Booklist) – August 22, 2017
- Once upon a Time, Storytelling was Learning (Insync) – August 22, 2017
- Challenged-Based Learning in the School Library Makerspace (edWeb.net) – August 23, 2017
- IFLA's Global Vision: An Interactive Discussion (WJ) – August 24, 2017
Upcoming Events & Deadlines
- August 29–31, 2017 – Think Outside the Barn
- September 6-9, 2017 – ARSL Conference
- October 8-14, 2017 – Teen Read Week
- October 10-12, 2017 – ILA Annual Conference
- October 19-21, 2017 – ISLMA Conference
- October 23-25, 2017 – Internet Librarian Conference
- November 9-11, 2017 – AASL National Conference, Phoenix, Ariz.