February 16, 2017
IHLS Holiday Closing – February 20, 2017
All IHLS offices will be closed in observance of Presidents’ Day on Monday, February 20, 2017.
Delivery Services will run on President’s day. If this holiday falls on one of your regularly scheduled delivery days and you do not want delivery please let your Operations Manager know as soon as possible. This information is critical to planning for routes and staffing on that day. Remember, if we have access to your library via key or alarm code we will deliver as usual unless you notify us otherwise. As always, thank you for partnering with us to get items into your patron’s hands as quickly and efficiently as possible.
2017 Delivery Survey
We are committed to providing great service to you and your candid feedback is critical to our focus on continuous improvement in delivery. We are hoping that one person from each library will take 5 to 10 minutes to complete this brief survey. Please complete the 2017 Delivery Survey before Friday, February 24, 2017.
Items for Member Comment
At the January meeting of the Illinois Heartland Library System Board of Directors, two items were approved by the board in a first reading and are now being sent out for member comment.
The first item is a revision of the board by-laws. Article VIII of the bylaws that were approved in July, 2011 called for the establishment of Advisory Councils. In reality, that was never a successful model for IHLS and in July, 2016 we began holding “Members Matter” meetings at locations throughout the system. The revision approved by the board reflects the movement from the Advisory Council Model to the “Members Matters” meetings.
The second item approved by the board for member comment was a policy created to address requests that come to the system for sponsorships and endorsements.
IHLS Board Meeting – February 28, 2017
The next IHLS Board meeting is Tuesday, February 28, 2017, at 5:00 p.m. at the IHLS Edwardsville office. The Board meeting will also be available at several videoconferencing (VTEL) sites. When available, you will find the agenda and board packet here.
2017 ISLMA Virtual Maker Meetup
Have you heard about the maker movement? Are you curious about what other K-12 librarians are doing in their makerspaces? Do you need ideas about how to incorporate STEAM activities into your library program? Do you love the idea of participating in professional development from the comfort of your own home? Do you have a great maker activity that you want to share with others?
Join us on Saturday, March 11, 2017, for the first online virtual ISLMA professional development opportunity to hear about exciting makerspace projects your colleagues have been undertaking. There will be four 30 minute sessions from 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Cost: FREE (2 PDH credits available).
There are two ways to participate: 1) To register as a participant, click here , 2) Do you have a maker activity you think other K-12 educators would like to hear about? Click here to join us as a presenter.
Questions? Contact email@example.com
Reaching Forward South 2017
Libraries have powers beyond just lending books. This year Reaching Forward South: Don’t Underestimate the Power of the Library will be held April 7, 2017, at Eastern Illinois University. We want libraries to build and use their Jedi powers to make their library an integral part of their community. Select from sessions on Advocacy, Programming, Technology, Staff and Staffing. New this year are Office Hours. Some of our experts will be available after programs for one-on-one consultation. RFS is just $75 per person and includes lunch and lots of neat prizes.
Reasons to attend:
- We are small and we are local.
- We are inexpensive. $75 gets you attendance at a great conference, breakfast, lunch, and chances to win great prizes.
- We are not constrained by state of Illinois budget. We are a small group of your peers who put on this conference. We maintain our own funds and budgets. We do not get financial backing from the state, so therefore this conference is a reality. It is not being held up until there is a budget. The same cannot be said for other programs and conference.
- We have some great programs, including a full day with EveryLibrary.
Check out more information and to register, go to: www.ReachingForwardSouth.org
Digital Theatre+ is interested in working with academic and school libraries in IHLS and is the world’s leading education platform for English and the Performing Arts. To schedule a free demo or to inquire about pricing contact Alice Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
A list of available grants are posted on the IHLS website. Here you will find information on grants suitable for libraries that you might be interested in applying for.
- Coretta Scott King Book Donation Grants (ALA) – Deadline: February 21, 2017
- ALA Scholarship Program – Deadline: March 1, 2017
- Diversity Research Grant (ALA) – Deadline: March 1, 2017
- MANGO/NMRT Professional Development Grant (ALA) – Deadline: March 7, 2017
- FY18 Adult Literacy Grants (ISL) – Deadline: March 15, 2017
- PR Xchange Awards (LLAMA) – Deadline: March 15, 2017
- John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award (EBSCO) – Deadline: March 17, 2017
- NASA @ My Library (ALA) – Deadline: March 22, 2017
- "My First AASL National Conference" Travel Grant (AASL) – Deadline: March 31, 2017
- Project Next Generation (ISL) – Deadline: March 31, 2017
In the News
- Sarah Jessica Parker to chair library association book club
- For many library visitors, I’m the only person they’ve talked to all day
- ALSC announces 2017 Notable Children’s Videos
- Middle school Monday: Building a middle school public library collection, part 1
- Municipal Minute: A panoply of OMA bills
- Foundation Center launches Visualizing Funding for Libraries
If there is a news story about your library, email the link to email@example.com with “Moving Forward” in the Subject Line so it can be included in the next newsletter.
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The February 15, 2017, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- State Library Closed Monday Feb. 20
- Project Next Generation Grant Applications Available
- Report Addressing the Needs of Autistic Patrons Now Available
- Library Trustees Web Page Updated
- FY18 Adult Literacy Grant Volunteer Reviewers Needed
- E-rate Application Window Opening Soon
- Annual Library System Certification Underway
- “Illinois Reads” Poster Mailing
- Celebrate Dia!
- Illinois World War | Centennial Committee
- FY16/17 IPLAR Now Available
The February 10, 2017, issue of the ILA E-Newsletter includes:
- From ILA Executive Director Bob Doyle
- Reaching Forward Award Nominations Open
- World Language Networking Group
- Share Your Opinions!
- New Study on Return on Investment
Free Webinars & Workshops
- IT Security for Libraries – Part 1 of 3 (RAILS) – February 21, 2017
- Striking the Balance: The Power of High Touch in a High Tech World (Lucidea) – February 21, 2017
- Post-Truth: Fake News and a New Era of Information Literacy (ALA) – February 22, 2017
- Media Literacy: A Crash Course in 60 Minutes (edWeb) – February 22, 2017
- How to Successfully Roll Out Project Outcome in Your Library (PLA) – February 23, 2017
- Libraries = Education: Your Key to Success (Demco) – February 23, 2017
- Collaboration in the 21st Century School Library (WSL) – February 27, 2017
- Visualizing (and Finding!) Funding for Libraries (WJ) – February 28, 2017
- IT Security for Libraries – Part 2 of 3 (RAILS) – February 28, 2017
- Set Up Your Makerspace for Success (CVL) – February 28, 2017
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Monday, February 20, 2017
- President’s Day, IHLS Closed
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Shared Collection, GoToMeeting
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
- IT Security webinar series, GoToWebinar
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
- Library of Congress Subject Headings, IHLS Edwardsville
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Administrative Site, GoToWebinar
- eRead Illinois: Axis 360 Scoping Training, GoToWebinar
Thursday, February 23, 2017
- MEPL-Metro-East Public Library Management Meeting, Belleville PL
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- IT Security webinar series, GoToWebinar
- SHARE Circulation Forum, Zoom
- IHLS Board Meeting
Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- RDA Classes, IHLS Edwardsville
- IHLS Member Library Directors’ Chat, Adobe Connect
Thursday, March 2, 2017
- RDA classes, IHLS Edwardsville
- Live & Learn Grant Review, VTEL
Upcoming Events & Deadlines
- February 16, 2017 - World Read Aloud Day 2017
- February 20, 2017 – President’s Day (IHLS Offices Closed)
- February 27, 2017 – Southern Illinois Library Legislative Lunch
- February 28, 2017 – IHLS Board Meeting
- March 3, 2017 – Metro-East Library Legislative Breakfast
- March 3, 2017 – Central Illinois Library Legislative Lunch
- March 7, 2017 – Members Matter Meeting
- March 10-11, 2017 – Illinois Youth Services Institute
- March 31, 2017 – Deadline to complete Annual Library Certification
- April 7, 2017 – Reaching Forward South
- April 18, 2017 – IHLS Member Day