BlTitle: Librarian I
Department: Adult Services
Application Deadline: July 13, 2014|
Pay Range: $44,025+, depending on qualifications
Position Available: Immediately
Hours: Full time (38 hours per week), to include mornings, afternoons, evenings, and weekends
Adult Services is seeking a friendly, helpful, creative, knowledgeable Librarian I. Our information service is busy and evolving. The successful candidate will love working with all kinds of people and have the ability to adapt to an ever-changing environment.
A key element of this position is creating and coordinating engaging programs that support lifelong learning and keep people coming to the library. Leading book discussions and seeking grants to support programs, program series, and presenters are also key responsibilities.
Providing excellent customer service is a primary focus of this job. Customer requests are fulfilled thoroughly and accurately in person, by phone, and via electronic means at the Adult Services Desk. Helping customers with their electronic needs is a growing request. The successful candidate will be knowledgeable about a variety of current technologies including ereading, computer use, and training.
This Librarian I creates the daily desk schedule for the department and will use Sharepoint to post it.
Other responsibilities include shelving returned materials and shelf reading for accuracy; assisting with library-wide initiatives/programs; and working in other departments when there’s a need.
This position is a member of the Adult Services department and reports to the Adult Services Manager. The schedule currently includes mornings, afternoons, evenings, and rotating weekends. The hours of this position change as departmental needs change.
- Must have an ALA-accredited MLS degree or be within one semester of completion of such a degree
- Demonstrated program planning abilities
- Excellent technology skills, including a variety of ereading devices & software and Sharepoint
- Knowledge of adult and young adult literature
- Experience using integrated library systems, the Internet, and online computer databases
- Communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Practical experience working with the public preferred
- Ability to bend, kneel, stretch, lift, and move items equivalent in bulk and weight to a full cart of books
Environment is fast paced and demanding, especially during peak hours.
Submit current resume, transcript, application (available at http://turing.bloomingtonlibrary.org/files/application_for_employment.pdf ), and three professional references by July 13, 2014 to:
Bloomington Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
205 E. Olive St.
P.O. Box 3308
Bloomington, IL 61702-3308
Bloomington Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.