Library Assistant & Programming Director - Cissna Park Community Library
Cissna Park Community Library
Library Assistant & Programming Director
Job available August 2014.
General Statement of Duties: Performs increasingly responsible and varied clerical-administrative work in an assigned unit; issues, receives and circulates library books and materials; performs clerical services in cataloging, classification and maintenance of books and materials; and assists patrons in using library services. Responsible for programming for all ages. This includes creation, planning, performance, and evaluation.
Specific clerical-administrative duties:
Performs all circulation desk duties using computerized system
- Check materials in/out/renew materials
- Reserve materials
- Issue new patron cards/update cards and registration
Performs all opening/closing procedures in work area/public areas
- Turn on/off all computers/copiers/printers
- Unlock/lock doors
- Empty book drops
- Notifies patrons and students about reserved materials
- Answers phone and routes calls as necessary
- Performs basic reference work or refers it to librarian
- Assists patrons and students in locating materials through OPAC
- Assists patrons and students in locating materials on shelf
- Assists patrons and students in the use of the library, including the use of the internet, computer databases, reference, and in the selection of reading materials.
- Obtains and sends mail
- Process magazines for circulation
- Assists with library displays
- Assists with book orders
- Prepares, repairs, and withdraws materials
- Shelves materials/reads shelves
- Creates and carries out community programs for all ages, including pre-school story hour and the summer reading program.
- Performs additional duties designated by librarian
Recommended Minimum Qualifications
Education, Training and Experience
- No specific prior experience is required but will be given preference if it pertains to the current needs of the library.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
Knowledge, Ability, and Skills
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Ability to communicate effectively with members of the public, including children, in a courteous and tactful manner. Ability to direct the work of library aides. Ability to understand, operate, and troubleshoot computer issues.
Please submit a letter of application and resume with references to:
Cissna Park Community Library District
Attn.: Rebekah Hoffman
511 N. Second Street
Cissna Park, IL 60924
You may also apply through e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org