Dubuque County Library, Iowa
The Board of Trustees of the Dubuque County Library is searching for a knowledgeable, visionary leader to serve as Library Director. The Director will work with the Library Board and staff to develop a 21st Century vision of library services that meets the present and future needs of our patrons throughout the five-branch library system. The Director will be the “face” of the library as well as the internal leader and listener with a focus on developing strategic directions for both community and staff.
Governed by an appointed nine member Board of Trustees, the Dubuque County Library serves a suburban/rural constituency of 29,000. The Director supervises a staff of eleven (five full time) with a $700,000 budget and an annual circulation of 110,000 (a 25% increase from the previous fiscal year). Within the last four years, two new branches have been added to the library system. Two of the five branches exist through unique partnerships with a public middle school and a community college. In addition, a new joint municipal/library facility with a branch city is currently in the fundraising and design phase. The Library actively participates in formal agreements and informal relationships with other public, university, and private libraries in the area. The Dubuque County Library is in a position to reach its potential through innovation and dynamic leadership.
The county population of more than 91,000 is also served by the city-funded libraries in the cities of Cascade, Dubuque and Dyersville.
Dubuque County, Iowa
Dubuque County, Iowa, has it all. From bustling city life to peaceful rural life nestled in the rolling hills of Eastern Iowa. Bordered on the east by the mighty Mississippi River, the area is the perfect place to begin a new career, raise a family or enjoy a slower pace of life.
The city of Dubuque and the surrounding area is considered the “birthplace of Iowa” and features a rich history, interesting architecture, and abundant natural beauty. The county is home to the world-famous Field of Dreams as well as Iowa’s oldest restaurant, Breitbach’s, located along the Great River Road in Balltown, Iowa.
There is more than beauty here. The county is home to six small colleges and universities, major industry such as John Deere and IBM, and a unique cultural mix that makes Dubuque County feel like a major metro area with the friendliness of your hometown.
While it may not be heaven, Dubuque County, Iowa, is certainly as close as you can get on earth.
Desired Qualifications, Strengths and Skills
- A Master's degree in library science from an ALA accredited school is required.
- Professional certification in compliance with state law within one year.
- Five years of library experience preferred with a minimum of three years library administration.
- Ability to develop budgets, make administrative decisions, develop policies and supervise staff.
- Effective interpersonal skills including creative and diplomatic management abilities.
- Thorough knowledge of the philosophy and techniques of all facets of public library service.
- Ability to think analytically and to develop new services.
- Ability to exercise initiative and independent judgment.
- Considerable knowledge of computers and data communications especially in regards to library applications.
- Ability to prepare comprehensive reports and present ideas clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills, social skills, and adaptability.
- Willingness to pursue alternative revenue streams to enhance library services.
- Ability to process information to learn new materials and handle complex concepts.
- Ability to motivate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with the library board, associates, colleagues, volunteers, other community agencies, governmental bodies and the general public.
- Visionary regarding library trends and the impact of changing information technology.
- A desire to meet and serve the public.
Other - Criminal History background check required.
Compensation Package: Salary plus benefits ($78,457 - $89,350)
- Starting salary - $55,000-$65,000 Negotiable based on experience and qualifications.
- Benefits package totaling up to an additional $23,904 (based on a salary of $60,000):
- Fully paid health, dental, optical and accidental death & disability policies (individual or family).
- Employee pays first $250 deductible for individual, $500 for family. After that deductible the County pays the next $4,000 family deductible or $2,000 individual deductible.
- County contribution of 8.93% of salary to the Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System.
- 12 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 13 sick days per year.
- Paid vacation
How to Apply (all applications for this county position must go through Iowa Works):
- For an application please contact: Iowa Works Region 1, 680 Main St., Dubuque, IA 52001; (563) 556-5800 or (866) 227-9874, or email firstname.lastname@example.org – put “Application” in the subject line; ask for Dubuque County, Iowa, Application for Employment. The application must be submitted to the Iowa Works Region 1 office not later than 3:00 pm on Wednesday, July 29, 2014.
- In addition, please email a copy of your application, resume and cover letter to Search Committee Chairman Jeff Goldsmith at email@example.com .