WorldShare Interlibrary Loan Tip of the Week: Locating your library's unique URL
More than 2,000 libraries now use OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan to benefit from new features that streamline ILL workflows and save staff time. If you haven’t looked at the new service lately, this is a good time to get started, so you are ready for April 14, 2014, when all new requests must be initiated in WorldShare ILL, and the end of access to WorldCat Resource Sharing on May 19, 2014. Just point your browser to http://oc.lc/future to see a list of recent enhancements and http://oc.lc/start for information about getting started.
Bookmarking your library’s unique URLWhen you set up OCLC Services user accounts to access WorldShare Interlibrary Loan, you received a unique URL in the format https://[LibraryID].share.worldcat.org/wms for your library’s access to the service. Part of your setup process included bookmarking this unique URL for future logons.
It is important that you bookmark your library’s unique URL from the first WorldShare ILL screen you see AFTER you logon to the service. (Don’t bookmark the logon screen.)
How to recover lost URLs
Occasionally, we hear from ILL staff who cannot locate their library’s unique WorldShare ILL URL. If this happens to you, here are two ways to find your URL:
- Return to the My Account page at https://share.worldcat.org/myaccount/. Under I have an OCLC Services account, click the WorldShare Interlibrary Loan button. On the Welcome screen, enter your symbol and click Continue. This will take you to your custom Web page.
- Logon to OCLC Service Configuration and access the My WorldCat.org section of the site.
- Select User interface Options.
- You will see Your WorldCat.org URL displayed on the screen in the format http://[LibraryID].worldcat.org.
- Using the Library ID from your WorldCat.org URL, create your WorldShare ILL URL in the format: https://[LibraryID].share.worldcat.org/wms.
LEARN MORE in the training video, “How to Find a Forgotten Custom Web Address.” Watch the video.
WORLDSHARE INTERLIBRARY LOAN DATES TO REMEMBER
April 14, 2014: All new ILL requests must be initiated in WorldShare ILL. WorldCat Resource Sharing will no longer support new requests.
May 19, 2014: End of access to WorldCat Resource Sharing
PS – Previous WorldShare ILL ”Tip of the Week” messages are available for your review on the OCLC website.