Moving Forward Together - July 8, 2014
July 8, 2014
IHLS Funding News!
On June 24, 2014 IHLS received the balance of its FY2014 Area and Per Capita Grant Funding. Two payments of $365,166.66 were received.
Many thanks to Anne Craig (Director, Illinois State Library) and Jesse White (Illinois Secretary of State and State Librarian) for their continued support.
ILLINET ILL Survey
It is that time of year when libraries begin to collect their data for the ILLINET ILL survey. To help IHLS member libraries, instructions on how to gather this information from Polaris and OCLC has been developed. It can be found on the IHLS website by clicking on the IHLS Members tab, selecting Resource Sharing and on the right side of the page select the last item ISL ILLINET ILL Survey.
In the first part of the document is a link to finding the statistics in OCLC. The second part of the document gives instructions on generating the statistics in SHARE/Polaris. The direct link to these instructions is here.
If you have any questions, contact Bev Obert by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone, call any system office and use ext. 713.
eRead Illinois: There’s Still Time to Sign Up
Do you feel like you missed the eRead Illinois boat? Don’t worry, you can still join either shared collection and your library will pay a prorated member fee for the rest of the year.
SHARE members that would like to start participation in the 3M Cloud Library shared collection on August 1, 2014, should email Lesley by Friday, July 25. If you’re unsure about the cost for your library, simply fill out the 3M member fee request form and return it to Lesley via email: lzavediuk@illinoisheartland.
Non-SHARE libraries are welcome to sign-up to participate in the Baker & Taylor Axis 360 shared collection at any time. Simply fill out the request for membership participation fee form and email it to: ereadillinois@railslibraries.
Public Library Per Capita and EDGE Assessment Training - August 21
On August 21, 2014, at 10:00 a.m., the Illinois State Library will present a workshop on the Public Library Per Capita Grant application and the EDGE Assessment. The workshop will be held in person at the IHLS Edwardsville office and via videoconference at the IHLS offices in Champaign and Du Quoin, as well as the Illinois State Library and the Decatur Public Library.
FY2015 Public Library Per Capita and Equalization Aid Grant requirements state that Illinois public libraries must have at least one staff member attend an instructional course. The technology component requires at least one library staff member and one board member to attend an informational webinar or in-person session about the Edge Initiative. Public libraries applying for the FY2015 Per Capita Grant can satisfy both requirements by participating in this training session.
Please register in L2 to attend in person at the IHLS Edwardsville location or at one of the VTEL locations: http://www.librarylearning.
If you cannot attend on August 21, training sessions have also been scheduled for:
Thursday, July 24, 1pm – 3pm at RAILS Burr Ridge office & RAILS VTEL sites
Friday, August 15, 10am – 12pm at the Illinois State Library
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Upcoming Free Webinars
Making Your Space: Creators and Makers in the Library (WJ) - July 9, 2014
The Kid and Teen-Friendly Library (AL Live) - July 10, 2014
Getting Started with Grants: Make Your Requests Shine (Network for Good) - July 15, 2014
Libraries as Drivers of Community Development: Global Edition (WJ) - July 16, 2014
7 Questions Your Board Asks That YOU May Never Hear (4Good) - July 16, 2014
Copyright for Educators & Librarians (Coursera) - July 21-August 18, 2014
Top Ten Skills for Teaching Tech to Patrons (WJ) - August 14, 2014
Recruiting and Training Volunteers for Library Advocacy (WJ) - August 20, 2014
Taming Tech Tools for Libraries (WJ) - September 18, 2014
More webinars can be found at:
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
Best Small Library in America Award - Deadline: September 10, 2014
I Love My Librarian Award - Deadline: September 12, 2014
Margaret Edwards Teen Collection Development - Deadline: December 1, 2014
The Lisa Libraries Book Donation Program - Deadline: ongoing
Margaret Alexander Edwards Trust Teen Grants - Deadline: ongoing
For more grant opportunities, check out LibraryWorks or the Library Grants Blog.
In the News
Check out recent media posts on libraries and librarians.
- Shared materials cost an issue for some libraries
- Books help present the “Summer Slide” in Illinois (Wood River PL)
- BiblioCommons expands ebook integration to include Overdrive, 3M Cloud Library and Axis 360
In case you missed it...Moving Forward Together - June 26, 2014
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The July 3, 2014, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- Public Library Per Capita and EDGE Assessment Training Sessions Announced
- FY14 ILLINET Survey Now Available
- Get ready for “On the Front Lines” Conference
- Summer Reading Program Information
- Message from WebJunction about Course Use
- Take advantage of the following series of free Webinars offered by WebJunction
The June 23, 2014, issue of the ILA E-Newsletter includes:
- iREAD Summer Sale!
- Energy Efficiency Grants Upcoming Deadlines
- David Vinjamuri to Speak at ILA 2014
- ALA Career Development Facilitator
- Job Opportunities
- In the News
I Love Libraries Newsletter
The July 3, 2014, issue of the ilovelibraries.org newsletter includes:
- Don’t you have the summer off?
- How Libraries can Survive in the Digital Age
- Digital Resources in School Libraries
- News of library challenges rekindle memories
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Friday, July 11, 2014
- eRead Illinois: Baker & Taylor Axis 360 Training, Byron PLD
- SHARE Chat (SHARE Managers), Adobe Connect
- eRead Illinois: Using your 3M Shopping Cart, Adobe Connect
Monday, July 14, 2014
- eRead Illinois: IHLS Tech Petting Zoo, Olney PL
- IMRF Presentation, IHLS Edwardsville
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
- eRead Illinois: Using your 3M Shopping Cart, Adobe Connect
- SHARE Chat (IT), Adobe Connect
Wednesday, July 16, 2014
- Cataloging in Connexion Workday, Mascoutah PL
- eRead Illinois: Baker & Taylor Axis 360 Training, Heyworth PLD
Thursday, July 17, 2014
- eRead Illinois: Baker & Taylor Axis 360 Training, RAILS East Peoria Sherwood Kirk/VTEL
- eRead Illinois: Basic 3M Cloud Library Demo, Adobe Connect
Friday, July 18, 2014
- SHARE Chat (Cataloging), Adobe Connect
― Mary Virginia Provines, Bright Heritage
Leslie M. Bednar