May 30, 2014
Board Meeting Recap
A recap of significant actions taken by the board at their May 27, 2014, meeting has been posted on the website. The next regular board meeting is June 16, 2014, 6:00 pm at the IHLS Du Quoin office.
2014 IHLS Board of Directors Election
The results of the 2014 IHLS Board of Directors election have been announced. The Nominating Committee would like to thank everyone on the ballot for taking part in this election process. Simply by being on the ballot, each of the candidates has served our system well. Terms of office begin on July 1 and end on June 30, the System’s fiscal year. The elected candidates will serve a three-year term.
IHLS Board of Directors election results are:
- Academic Library Representative: Sandra West, Rend Lake College Learning Resource Center
- School Library Representative: Rachel Fuller, Rochester Community Unit School District
- Public Library Trustee: Valerie Green, Barclay Public Library
- Public Library Trustee: Gary Denue, Edwardsville Public Library
- Special Library Representative: IHLS Board President will appoint
IHLS would like to give a special thanks to the 2014 IHLS Nominating Committee: Kim Keller, Chair, Bryan-Bennett Library; Julia Welzen, Argenta-Oreana Public Library District; Elaine Steingrubey, Morrison-Talbott Library; Debra Sherrick, Casey-Westfield CUSD; and Mary Ann Pohl, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.
We would like to thank all of the Plinkit libraries that have already completed the Plinkit Migration Survey. The survey is still open and is available here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/
Several libraries indicated that they would like additional information on the ESP product and other options before making a decision. More information has been added to the Illinois Plinkit website here: http://www.illinoisplinkit.
IHLS Annual Meeting
You are invited to attend the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Board of Directors of IHLS which will be held on Monday, June 16, 2014, 5:00 p.m. at our Du Quoin office, 500 South Madison Street, Du Quoin, Illinois 62832. We will recognize new and departing board members and retiring staff members. Light refreshments will be served. Please register in L2. After the Annual Meeting you are welcome to attend the IHLS Board Meeting which will begin at 6 p.m.
IHLS Offices Closed June 20, 2014
IHLS offices will be closed Friday, June 20, 2014, to allow staff to attend staff development training. Delivery and Talking Book Services will not be provided. We will be open and delivery will resume Monday, June 23, 2014, with extra routes if necessary to compensate for volume.
Non-Resident Fee Survey – Deadline: June 15, 2014
IHLS is required to maintain a list on the IHLS website of non-resident program information from IHLS public libraries and to indicate whether or not a library participates in the non-resident fee program and what that fee is. Each year IHLS asks all IHLS public libraries for this information. This information is being gathered by a survey found at this link https://www.surveymonkey.com/
Your library does not have removable tape? No problem. Just use two rubberbands, that do not bend the item, and tape your label to the rubberbands. Problem solved and your item is on its way, easy peasy.
SHARE membership just keeps growing! We now have 43 Transitional Members! A list of transitional members have been posted here: http://share.
If your library is interested in becoming a member of SHARE, contact Chris Dawdy (email@example.com | 618.656.3216 ext. 443).
Shelley Koehler Retirement
Shelley Koehler, Director of Shelbyville Public Library is retiring at the end of May after 26 years of service. If you have heard of our summer reading program, it is because of the wonderful job Shelley has done. She will be greatly missed. For anyone wanting to wish her congratulations on her retirement, send cards to her at 154 N. Broadway, Shelbyville, IL 62565.
Homer Community Library 40th Anniversary Invitation
The Homer Community Library is turning 40 this year! We'd like to invite any of the area librarians to help us celebrate at our 40th Anniversary Open House! Please stop by and see us on June 7th from 2-4pm, enjoy a slice of cake, meet the library staff and board members, and see what changes we’ve made over the past 40 years. For any of you who might have visited us in 'the old library' on Main Street you will be quite surprised at our new space. We are quite proud of our little library and would love to share it with you!
Small Public Library Management Institute Participants Announced
The Illinois State Library announced selected participants to attend the 2014 Small Public Library Managements Institute (SPLMI) June 1-6. Congratulations to the following IHLS members:
- Beth Ann Butler, Blue Mound Memorial Library
- David E. Cassens II, Tri-Township Public Library District
- Stephen Cochran, Groff Memorial Library
- Twilla Renee Coon, Mount Carmel Public Library
- Jeanne Daly, Sidney Community Library
- Penny Jo Eilers, White Hall Township Public Library
- Tressie Facculyn-Gous, Albion Public Library
- Jill Goodman, Martinsville Public Library District
- Kathy Hagan, New Athens District Library
- Koren R. Haynes, Centreville Public Library
- Tina Hubert, Six Mile Regional Library District
- C. Denise Karns, Norris City Memorial Public Library District
- Kate J. Kite, Wood River Public Library
- Rick Meyer, Decatur Public Library
- Terri Mimms, Rosiclare Memorial Public Library
- Felicia F. Murray, Eldorado Memorial Public Library District
- Barbara K. Patterson, Royalton Public Library
- Cynthia L. Pulsford, Johnston City Public Library
- Christine Stewart, Caseyville Public Library District
- Stacey Stremming, Windsor Storm Memorial Public Library
- Jane Whalen, Doyle Public Library
- Kelly A. Wilhelm, Lebanon Public Library
Two May 30th Deadlines Approaching
On the Front Lines Scholarships - Forty scholarships will be awarded for attending "On the Front Lines" (OTFL), a conference sponsored by the Illinois State Library. OTFL will be held at the University of Illinois Springfield on August 4 - 6. Apply for the scholarship at www.surveymonkey.com/s/
Digitization Survey - The Illinois State Library (ISL) is interested in learning the extent of the statewide need for digitization of library materials. ISL has created a short survey to assess possible needs and to get a better idea of the collections located in the state and their value. Complete survey here: www.surveymonkey.com/s/3YJYS7K
Upcoming Free Webinars
NPS 101: An Introduction to LLAMA’s New Professional Section (LLAMA) - June 4, 2014
Best Small Libraries in America: Vital, Innovative, and Thriving (WJ) - June 5, 2014
Community Engagement and the Declaration (ALA) - June 9, 2014
Going Beyond Google (AL Live) - June 12, 2014
Be Fearless: Public Speaking for Librarians (WJ) - June 18, 2014
More webinars can be found at: http://www.ala.org/alcts/
Grants, Awards & Scholarships
Teen Read Week Activity Grant (Dollar General) - Deadline: June 1, 2014
Roald Dahl’s Miss Honey Social Justice Award (AASL) - Deadline: June 1, 2014
Lois Lenski Covey Foundation Book Grants - Deadline: June 16, 2014
Margaret Edwards Teen Collection Development - Deadline: December 1, 2014
The Lisa Libraries Book Donation Program - Deadline: ongoing
Margaret Alexander Edwards Trust Teen Grants - Deadline: ongoing
For more grant opportunities, check out LibraryWorks or the Library Grants Blog.
In the News
Check out recent media posts on libraries and librarians.
The ultimate backseat bookshelf: 100 must-reads for kids 9-14
Free online reading tool available to students
In case you missed it...Moving Forward Together - April 22, 2014
E-News from the Illinois State Library
The May 23, 2014, issue of the E-News from the ISL includes:
- Jesse White Announces Winners of “Letters About Literature” Contest from Algonquin, Northbrook and Barrington
- Jesse White and Illinois Press Association Announces Spotlight Awards for Outstanding Literacy Students and Tutors
- FY14 ILLINET Survey Now Available
- Small Public Library Management Institute Participants Announced
- Summer Reading Program Kicks Off
- Seeking Public Comments on the Digitization of Library Materials
- Employment Eligibility Verification Webinar
- The Illinois Edge Resource Homepage
- Edge Resources Webinar
The May 29, 2014, issue of the ILA E-Newsletter includes:
- It’s Time to Start Planning for #ILAKick!
- Connections. Creativity. Community.
- Kickstart Your Conference Experience
- Job Opportunities
- In the News
I Love Libraries Newsletter
The May 23, 2014, issue of the ilovelibraries.org newsletter includes:
- Sign The Declaration for the Right to Libraries!
- 2013 I Love My Librarian Winner Dr. Shahla Bahavar
- Librarians reimage book clubs with the help of technology
- “To Kill a Mockingbird” finally going digital
- Why would you WANT to fly?
- Digital Library of the Week
Upcoming Events in Library Learning
Register in L2: www.librarylearning.info
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
- SHARE Chat (Cataloging), Adobe Connect
Friday, June 6, 2014
- SHARE Chat (eResources), Adobe Connect
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
- Polaris Demonstration, Atwood Hammond Grade School
Tuesday, June 24, 2014
- SHARE Catalogers Training Session, Adobe Connect
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
--Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928 - May 28, 2014)
Leslie M. Bednar