Youth Services Assistant - Edwardsville Public Library
Accountability: Youth Services Librarian, Assistant Director, Librarian-Director
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Youth Services Assistant shall assist the Youth Services Librarian in planning and providing special events, which will encourage children to appreciate books, reading and self-expression, i.e.: story times, summer reading programs, puppet shows and other literature activities.
- The Youth Services Assistant shall assist in the provision of library services, i.e. staff supervision, circulation, reference, readers’ advisory, book selection and computer assistance.
- The Youth Services Assistant shall design and prepare program-related art materials, i.e.: murals, bulletin boards, posters, decorations, storyboards and other program aides.
- The Youth Services Assistant shall promote the library and its activities through public relations and community outreach.
Skills and education requirements:
The Youth Services Assistant shall have
- A Bachelor’s Degree preferred with library experience or course work.
- Experience in programming for children.
- Experience in telling and reading stories for groups.
- Computer literacy skills.
The Youth Services Assistant shall attend and participate in continuing education, which may include, storytelling workshops, youth services meetings, conferences, and conventions as budgets and schedules permit.
Strong public service attitude, patience, flexibility, willingness to learn new technology, interest in and knowledge of both classic and current children’s literature, ability to select age-appropriate programming, ability to create new programs, basic artistic skills, ability to tell stories and assist in puppet plays in a way to interest and entertain children of various ages.
To apply for this position, please send a resume, cover letter and contact information for three professional references to: email@example.com, or deliver in person to the Edwardsville Public Library by Monday, July 21st at 5 p.m.