Cataloging Maintenance Center
Supported by the Illinois State Library, the current Cataloging Maintenance Center is operated by the Illinois Heartland Library System with staff in two locations, Champaign and Edwardsville. Since 2001, the CMCs have been upgrading bibliographic records for Local Library System Automation Programs (LLSAPs) throughout the state. While continuing to do that, the CMC is also a source for other cataloging assistance.
The mission of the Illinois Cataloging Maintenance Center (CMC) is to provide cataloging support in the following areas:
- Database cleanup
- Original or copy cataloging of eligible collections (providing services free of charge through FY2014)
- Cataloging training
- Assistance with general cataloging questions, including questions on RDA (Resource Description and Access)
Eligibility & Guidelines:
- The CMCs will provide original or copy cataloging of eligible collections owned by Illinois Libraries that are system members.
- Eligible collections will be cataloged free of charge. At the present time, eligible collections include genealogy, local history, and special collections (i.e., local authors, community cookbooks, government documents, etc.).
- Eligible collections of material in most modern European languages can be accommodated. Since resource sharing is always the highest priority, availability of the collection (if tangible) via circulation or interlibrary loan is important. Uniqueness of material is also important.
- Before sending your items in for cataloging, please contact the CMC to determine eligibility.
- The CMC will create an original bibliographic record in OCLC or will supply an existing OCLC record. Records are then exported to the local database according to LLSAP’s procedures. In some cases this means OCLC MARC records will be sent electronically to your LLSAP support staff for loading. The CMC will not create item/holding records in LLSAPs for individual copies.
- Items may be sent to either location through System delivery (within IHLS) or ILDS (libraries in the RAILS service area). Please provide contact information and make sure return labeling is included.
- Items will be cataloged in the order they are received with turnaround time varying depending on the scope of the project and other factors.
- In some circumstances, CMC staff may be able to come to your library to complete the cataloging. Travel by CMC staff will be on a limited basis, depending on several factors (i.e. accommodations, availability, distance, size of collection to be cataloged, condition of collection, etc.). Wifi capability is required.
phone: 618-656-3216 ext.430