IHLS Members that use OCLC for Interlibrary loan are now using the WorldShare ILL product. The WorldCat Resource Sharing product, sometimes referred to as FirstSearch ILL, retires on May 19, 2014.
Setting up a WorldShare ILL account
If you have not established your WorldShare ILL account follow the steps below:
- You will need to have your current OCLC ILL 9 digit authorization number and password and your OCLC symbol.
- Watch this short tutorial on creating your WS ILL Account. http://www.oclc.org/support/training/portfolios/resource-sharing/worldshare-ill/tutorials/creating-your-wsill-account.en.html or http://oc.lc/IOYnND
Go to http://share.worldcat.org/myaccount to set up your WS ILL account.
- This is an administrative account and only one account needs to be set up. From this account you can set up logins and passwords for other staff members in your library.
- Don’t forget to bookmark the page to access your account. They tell you when to do this.
If needed create additional staff accounts.
- Before creating the staff accounts watch this short tutorial: http://www.oclc.org/support/training/portfolios/resource-sharing/worldshare-ill/tutorials/man-and-create-user-names-in-wsill.en.html or http://oc.lc/ThFkxH
- Now you are ready to create additional staff accounts as needed.
- If you are an ILLiad user, stay informed of the latest news at: http://www.oclc.org/en-US/illiad/latest-version.html
There are specific browser requirements for WS ILL. The browsers and versions most recently tested with WorldShare® Interlibrary Loan are:
- Mozilla Firefox® 26.0 (preferred browser)
- Google Chrome version 33.0.1700.76 M
- Microsoft® Internet Explorer versions 9.0 or 10.0
February 9, 2014 marked the end of support for use of Internet Explorer 8 with WorldShare ILL.
Learning how to use WorldShare ILL can be accomplished in a variety of ways.
On the OCLC website there is a page that provides three avenues for learning WS ILL. Go to: http://www.oclc.org/support/training/portfolios/resource-sharing/worldshare-ill.en.html
- The first part of the page provides Tutorials. These are short videos that break down each step of the operation. They are good to use after taking training and find that you cannot remember a step in the process.
- Instructor-led courses are listed next. There are nine courses that you can take. Just click on the course of your choice to see a list of dates and register by clicking on the green register to attend button.
- Seven Recorded training courses are listed next. The courses are free and you can even follow along with the simulations in the session by downloading the documentation.
If you prefer to have printed documentation to refer to; OCLC has that also. Just click on this link: http://www.oclc.org/support/services/worldshare-ill/documentation.en.html There are PDF documents on Using WS ILL including one on Constant Data and under Borrowing/lending policies, a PDF titled OCLC Policies Directory Quick Reference.
Linking Your Catalog for WS ILL
For your patrons and other libraries to search your library’s catalog from WorldCat you must set up the linking. This document explains the steps required to accomplish this task. Linking Your Catalog for WorldShare ILL
SIGN UP FOR OCLC SHARING-L List or other OCLC lists of interest to you by going to their registration page: https://www.oclc.org/forms/internet-subscription.en.html?urlm=168713
Links to Documentation and Resources
- WorldShare Interlibrary Loan – The home page for WorldShare ILL with links to additional information such as functionality of WS ILL and other information.
- Documentation helpful for libraries moving from WorldCat Resource Sharing to OCLC WorldShare.
- Resource sharing features in the WorldCat Services Administration Module vs. OCLC Service Configuration [PDF].